Wednesday, 10 April 2013

ICU

You towered over me, oh dear sky,
Thinking that you have finally succeeded
In keeping me beneath you, suffocating me with your sun,
And clouds and moon and stars,
Slowly lulling me to celebrate
A false reality uncontrolled by me.

But look at me now as I look at you,
Staring right into your immense void,
Can't you see, right here, right now,
Your vastness shrunk to the size
Of my eyeballs?

© Shinjini Bhattacharjee

Man admits to torturing Seattle prostitute

Shinjini describes herself as a 23 year old jabberwocky who loves to explore the poems garbed in emotions of varied hues every moment of her life composes.

5 comments:

  1. Very profound in meaning. The suffocation of women in a patriarchal social set up is painful and well described in your poem. The defiance of such a set up by the female gaze is indeed very intriguing.

    Nupur Behl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this a couple of time because I liked it that much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very powerful poem describing the ordeal that the victim endured, with the last stanza emphasising the fortitude shown in the face of an agonising assault.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read this every day now, Shinjini; it is so powerful and both deserves and stands up to rereading. Like Luigi I am particularly drawn to the power of the last stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shinjini Bhattacharjee14 April 2013 at 11:24

    Thanks a lot Nupur, Michael, Luigi and Carolyn for your kind and encouraging words. As an amateur poet, these mean a lot to me. And yes, the last stanza is my favorite too!

    ReplyDelete