Monday, 11 February 2013

Raising the White Rose

Under the tarmac
in a car park
in Leicester,
the unresting-place
of a hero or monster;
medievally evil
or misrepresented:
deformed and despised
or well loved and splendid?

Some skeleton facts
pulled out of the ground:
that snake-twisted spine
and those venomous wounds
but fleshier questions
can never be answered
by bare beaten bones
from a car park
in Leicester.

© Gwen Seabourne


Gwen Seabourne teaches and researches in law and legal history by day and by night writes poems. She has had poems on Poetry 24, in various magazines, has had work on R4 Poetry Find out more about Gwen
here .

3 comments:

  1. Those fleshier questions are the ones that bother me too Gwen. I like the way you pose this in an either/or format. I wonder if we'll ever know the truth. When I wrote my own poem here back in September I too left a question hanging, which still remains to be answered.

    Here's the link: http://poetry-24.blogspot.com.es/2012/09/these-bones.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely rhythm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A brilliant write, enjoy this!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete