Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Who killed Cock Robin…

Who killed Cock Robin?
I, said the man from the ministry.
with my semi-automatic,
I killed Cock Robin.

Who saw him die?
I, said the marksman hired.
Through the cross wire,
I saw him die.

Who caught his blood?
I, said the factory owner.
In a plastic bowl,
I caught his blood.

Who'll make the shroud?
I, said the civil servant,
For food health and safety,
I’ll hide behind that shroud.

Who else has gone?
Why, cried the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds.
205 skylarks, 35 song thrushes,
81 meadow pipits and 200 blackbirds.

No birds of the air
To a-sigh or a-sobbing,
All shot – under licence,
Just like poor Cock Robin.

© Jane Slavin

Defra killed Cock Robin

Jane is a former journalist, now council press officer, living in Plymouth. In her spare time, she is falling in love with words again by making her own stuff up!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent! This needs highlighting, and what better way than through the voice of poetry?

    ReplyDelete