Monday, 22 October 2012

My name was Amanda Todd

In 7th grade
     I would go with friends
          on webcam
got called stunning,
     beautiful,
          perfect
Then
     wanted me to flash...
          So I did....

Im stuck...
     whats left of me now...
          nothing stops
The girl and 2 others just said
     look around
          nobody likes you.
A guy than yelled
     just punch her already
          So she did..

Kids filmed it.
     I was all alone
          and left on the ground.
was on facebook –
     She deserved it,
          did you wash the mud out of your hair?
I felt like a joke in this world...
     I thought
          nobody deserves this :/

All from my past..
     lifes never getting better..
          cant go to school
meet or be with people...
     constantly cutting.
          Im really depressed.
I have nobody
     I need someone
          my name is Amanda Todd....

© Anthony Baverstock

Author's note: I pondered for quite a while over whether or not to tidy up Amanda’s spelling and grammar. Finding the case for each option equally strong, I decided in the end to leave her text exactly as she wrote it.

Amanda Todd: Memorial for teenage cyberbullying victim

FULL VIDEO: Amanda Todd: Struggling, Bullying, Suicide, Self Harm, Fighting 

Anthony Baverstock is from Colchester, reputed home of Humpty-Dumpty.  

4 comments:

  1. Sad, sad story. I like the fact that you kept her original spellings etc. It's authentic. And the fractured structure - very apt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fran. Yes, tragic – Amanda's video shines a spotlight into the greatest depths of the bullying problem, I think. I wonder how long it will stay there before our collective attention seeks stimulation in something new to be outraged about, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am catching up after being ill so I have only just read this. It's a powerful piece and should be more widely circulated. May I share it on Facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Abigail,

    Glad to hear you are on the mend – nothing too serious, I hope.

    About the poem, please feel free to share it on Facebook. I’m delighted you asked and would love for it to reach anybody interested.

    Many thanks, and take care,

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete