Friday, 5 October 2012

A Fairy Tale

There once was a powerful lord.
There’s nothing he couldn’t afford.
His daughter was fair as can be;
On that every man did agree.

The suitors lined up at their gate.
For hours, they’d patiently wait,
But Beauty would all of them shun
And say, “Of those men I’ll have none.”

The father came up with a plan
And said, “I will promise the man
Who woos and wins over my girl
A treasure befitting an earl.

He need not be wealthy or smart,
Or skillful in music or art.
He may not be handsome or tall–
Just someone for whom she will fall.

I’ll offer him diamonds and gold
I’ve earned from the stocks I have sold.
My daughter deserves a good man.
To help her, I’ll do what I can.

The daughter said, “Give me a break.
I can’t lead a life that is fake.
There won’t be a man in my life.
I’m leaving, and so is my wife.”

And that is the end of the tale.
The daughter, no doubt, did prevail.
Her father let out a big sigh:
“I guess there are things you can’t buy.”

© Vala Hafstad

Hong Kong tycoon seeks husband for lesbian daughter

Vala Hafstad lives in Minnesota. She writes humorous poems for children and, occasionally, their parents.

6 comments:

  1. Very funny Vala. "I'm leaving and so is my wife." One wonders about some of the fairytales of old where the king/rich man offers a fortune to a knight/prince who can 'turn' his miserable/nasty daughter. Perhaps, just perhaps, she leaned the other way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Little Nell. That's exactly what I wondered about.
      Vala

      Delete
  2. Although I knew this story, the reveal at the end of verse 6 still made me chuckle! I was wondering – was this the first rhyming couplet that popped into your head when writing the poem, or some other line? Or did you start at the beginning and work through?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bavo. I'm glad I could make you laugh. When I started writing, I only knew I wanted this to sound like a fairy tale. I started at the beginning and the rest followed.
      Vala

      Delete
  3. Edda a.k.a, the single lady8 October 2012 at 11:01

    Ég fékk frábæra hugmynd rétt í þessu. Nú set ég auglýsingu í bændablaðið og lofa góðu eiginmannsefni stóran bunka af matadorpeningum, demantslöguðum ísmolum og heimatilbúnum pappírsperlum!!

    ReplyDelete