Friday, 21 September 2012

reading the report

for years I had been told
fans had broken turnstiles
that they were drunk
stole from dead fans

I had been told
they didn’t have tickets
that they smelt of alcohol
that everyone was dead by 3.15

I had been told
that the police and coroner
only dealt with facts
and always told the truth

yesterday I found out
everything I had been told
was a lie       everything

©  Jim Bennett

Hillsborough report: 41 of the 96 dead 'had potential to survive'

Author of 67 books and proprietor of Poetry Kit, Jim tours throughout the year giving reading and performances of his poetry and songs. 

6 comments:

  1. Really good poem Jim. It's got a sort of numbed quality, as though the narrator has been hit very hard by the news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Hamish. The simplicity of it suits the topic. And I like the shorter last verse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I really appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really good in its simplicity and conveys the 'big lie' perfectly.

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes simplicity is most effective as it is here.

    Well done!

    David Subacchi

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really ind of you all to take the time to comment. It is really apreciated. Along with my thanks to Poetry24 for giving it space.

    ReplyDelete