Thursday, 12 July 2012

Downfall of a Dairy Farmer

What is the matter Farmer Brown
what can be troubling you?
The sun will soon be out again
no doubt there’s work to do.

But Farmer Brown in weary tones
solemnly replied
‘My situation’s desperate
of that I can confide.

I love to see my cows outside
grazing happily,
but now however hard I work
I’m faced with poverty.
Oh Daisy, Buttercup, Bluebell
they all have done their bit
their creamy milk is not enough
there’s more cash in their shit!

The government won’t listen
foreign dairies have more clout ,
they’ve cut the price of milk again
to force us farmers out.

All the while the rain pours down
so cows must be inside,
the price of feed is rising
it’s bad news for the countryside.

I love our little patchwork fields
but the future is in doubt,
for factory farms will spread out here
with local folk left out.

There’s nothing more that I can do
it’s all become a pain,
 we'll have to pour the milk away
with our earnings down the drain.

For Daisy, Buttercup, Bluebell
they all have done their bit
their creamy milk is not enough
there’s more cash in their shit!’


©  Wendy Nicholson

Farmers threaten to pour milk down the drain

Wendy is an ecologist studying animals and plants but likes painting, and writing all kinds of poetry.

2 comments:

  1. Another topical cutting edge poem from this talented poet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Farmer Brown has to take work as a 'check out chic' and sell corporation milk at five times what he was getting.

    ReplyDelete