Thursday, 3 May 2012

Leaving for Gliese

If I leave right now, I will be sixty seven when I reach you
My skin blooming again in your ambient glow
A soft red blush will blossom in your climate
Like the dimly-lit atmosphere of a cocktail bar.

Your red sky wears a sunny, starry face
Such beauty will have me always looking upwards
No time to turn around to see the past
Recede behind me at the speed of light.

I will be glad to start again in another universe
There is room in one life for two lifetimes, after all,
I should go out into the night seeking a moonbeam
The one that will lead me to the exit door.

And yet the greens and blues of here still tempt me
Even the greys and browns have subtle tones
That your new look has not yet re-invented
The tugs and ties of gravity are strong.

©  Helena Nolan

Astronomers find new planet capable of supporting life
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Helena's work has appeared in anthologies and literary magazines including; The Stinging Fly, The Moth, and the Spoken Ink audio website. She is the 2011 winner of the Patrick Kavanagh Award.

10 comments:

  1. This is an impressive poem. A beautiful piece, on which, any short sound-byte comment could only act in a reductive fashion. Nonethess, I feel the need to praise by the conventional route: the piece introduces so many different ideas, yet connects them in an effortless fluidity; it surprises without acknowledging the surprise and has a solitary sort of Romanticism about it. Lovely, I feel a connection in some sort of way to the complexity behind its inception. Thank you for this, it is lovely and completely changed my mood/attitude from negative to positive when I read it. http://hithimagainjackhescrazy2.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beatuiful poem, Helena, always a pleasure to read your work:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Helena, fascinating concept but beautifully humane imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful poem Helena.

    Makes me feel more positive about that telescope my husband brought home- it is living in our front hall between trips to the garden to get us chilled to the bone peering at something far, far away.....

    Your poem feels warm. Space is cold. How did that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful poem, Helena. I love the turn at 'And yet...'
    ~Breda Wall Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found through the latest 'Third Sunday Blog Carnival.'

    ... I will be glad to start again ... There is room in one life for two lifetimes ... or more :)

    I like the poem, it inspires and expresses what the future evokes, the longing - new blooming, colours - against the pathos and the subtleties the new has not yet invented.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't take my first comment, so I try again, shorter.
    Found through Third Sunday Blog Carnival.

    Love the longing, the pathos and the humour of the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didn't take my first comment, so I try again, shorter, and via google. Found through Third Sunday Blog Carnival.

    Love the longing, the pathos and the humour of the poem.

    ReplyDelete